Prowein cancelled due to coronavirus fears
Messe Düsseldorf has decided to postpone Prowein due to fears about the spread of the novel coronavirus.
The event was due to take place on March 15-17, but preparations have been plunged into chaos as the virus spreads across Europe.
Messe Düsseldorf said it is following recommendations from the German government’s crisis management team
“This decision was not an easy one for all concerned,” said Thomas Geisel, Lord Mayor of the City of Düsseldorf and chairman of the Supervisory Board of Messe Düsseldorf GmbH. “But the postponements at the present time are necessary for Messe Düsseldorf and its customers in view of the increasingly dynamic developments.”
It had previously suggested the event would go ahead, but it said the “recent significant increase” in the number of infected people forced it to reassess that decision.
It added that exhibitors and potential visitors had expressed concern about the complicated travel situation.
Werner M. Dornscheidt, chief executive of Messe Düsseldorf, said: “Our customers, partners and employees trust us. Not only when it comes to the professional and successful handling of major international events in Düsseldorf. They can also have this trust in us when we make decisions about critical situations in the interests of their safety.”
Prowein is one of six upcoming trade shows to be cancelled at Messe Düsseldorf, along with wire, Tube, Beauty, Top Hair and Energy Storage Europe.
More than 83,000 cases of the COVID-19 disease have now been confirmed in more than 50 countries, and the death toll is approaching 3,000. Italy has seen hundreds of cases in the past few days, and reports are emerging of new cases across the continent.