The organisers of the London Wine Fair 2020 have announced the show is still going ahead but the situation will remain under review following the uncertainty caused by coronavirus (COVID-19), which recently led to the cancellation of Prowein in Germany.
In a statement, the team said: “As you will be aware, the UK risk level for coronavirus has been increased from low to moderate. However, the risk to individuals has not changed and remains low. At this point in time London Wine Fair 2020 will be going ahead as planned.
“The safety of visitors and exhibitors is at the forefront of everything we do. We are working closely with the venue, Olympia and we will continue to follow advice from the Government, the Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health England.”
Over the weekend the exhibition venue Messe Dusseldorf decided to postpone Prowein due to fears about the spread of the novel coronavirus.
The event was due to take place on March 15-17 but the venue said it is following recommendations from the German government’s crisis management team.
It had previously suggested the event would go ahead, but it said the “recent significant increase” in the numbers of infected people forced it to reassess that decision. It added that exhibitors and potential visitors had expressed concern about the complicated travel situation.
The London Wine Fair 2020 team said the situation will remain under review for the May event in the UK and it will continue to provide regular updates.
Separately, the organisers of Vinexpo Hong Kong have said the event will be postponed due to coronavirus. The event will now run form July 8-10 instead of the previous dates at the end of May.