Reaction to win ‘overwhelming’ for indie wine award victor
Entries for the independent categories of the 2020 Drinks Retailing Awards close five weeks today.
There are numerous categories that embrace the wide variety of trading sizes and styles that make the independent off-trade such a vibrant and competitive arena.
The categories are:
- Newcomer of the Year
- Independent Wine Retailer of the Year
- Independent Beer Retailer of the Year
- Independent Spirits Retailer of the Year
- Convenience Drinks Retailer of the Year
- Hybrid Retailer of the Year
- Independent Drinks Retailer of the Year
- Luxury Drinks Retailer of the Year
- Regional Chain of the Year
- Independent Champagne & Sparkling Wine Retailer of the Year
- Drinks Wholesaler of the Year
- Online Retailer of the Year
It’s free for independent retailers to enter here, and entries will close on Friday, August 16.
The Independent Wine Retailer of the Year was won by Vino Vero of Leigh-on-Sea in Essex in 2018.
Co-owner Charlie Brown said: “We knew we’d be up against seriously tough competition and we definitely were; the calibre of candidates was exceptionally strong.
“We were absolutely delighted to win. We thought, as all business owners do, that we had something special but to get national recognition for our five years of hard work crystallised the idea that we had been, and still are, a place that’s not just ‘good for Essex’, but that we were able to compete on a national level.
“The reaction we had from winning was somewhat overwhelming.
“We are a town with some serious local pride and customers loved that their local wine shop had won against some of the best wine merchants in the country.
“We’re still getting congratulations 18 months on.”
Follow Drinks Retailing News on Twitter or the Awards in Instagram for latest updates on the 2020 competition.